PREPARED FOODS Vendor application
Prepared Foods vendors offer freshly-made food and drinks available for sale and immediate consumption. These products may be hot or cold ready-to-eat foods or drinks. Products should use organic ingredients when available and as many market products as possible & reasonable, with preference given to those vendors who use local products. The certified kitchen utilized must be located within 150 miles of the market attended.
Products to be sold must be presented for sampling and inspection of labeling before acceptance into GOFM. The Executive Director will request these samples from you-- please do not drop off before invited to do so.
FOOD PERMITTING REQUIREMENTS:
All Prepared Foods Vendors must provide proof of the following:
- Temporary Food Establishment Permit from the Galveston County Health District (This GCHD Guidelines document outlines the requirements under the permit.)
- Food Manufacturer's License
- Food Handler's License
- All prepared foods must be made in a certified kitchen
All food items must be clearly labeled according to Texas law and include:
- Contact information: address, phone number and/or email address
- Common name of product
- List of ingredients by weight
- The eight major food allergens
- Please read Texas labeling laws here for details
GALVESTON COUNTY HEALTH DISTRICT (GCHD) PERMITTING FAQs:
- Link to GCHD Consumer Health Services
- GCHD Description of a "Farmers Market" food establishment (scroll down)
- Link to GCHD Temporary Food Establishment Form for all "potentially hazardous foods" (ie anything that must be refrigerated to remain safe)
- Texas Dept. of Health & Human Services FAQs about farmers markets
- GCHD phone number (409) 938-2411
- Address: 9850-D Emmett F. Lowry Expy./ Suite D-100/ Texas City, TX 77591
- Walk-in Hours: Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm
Please ensure you have read all information above before completing your application.
In your application, you must be as transparent and detailed as possible abo ut your operation's methods, ingredients and philosophy. We value honesty and a commitment to local, sustainable systems and preference is always given to organic (uncertified or certified) operations. The vetting of applications is conducted by the entire Board of Directors at our monthly Board meetings, and depending on when you submit your application it may take up to 1 month to receive a final response.